It encompasses information architecture, data management and integration, application development and integration, database management, and all of the technologies that make enterprise-wide goals possible.
Smoothly functioning information technology is foundation for all business activities. Whether IT is dealing with a merger, legacy technologies, upgrades or new technologies that have been chosen to support the business' core functions, integration of technologies to improve business performance remains a priority.
Open source technology is defined as the production and development philosophy of allowing end users and developers to not only see the source code of software, but modify it as well. Open Source technology makes business sense. Apart from being free and of very high quality, it is often more powerful than most commercially available products. This is because its shared development harnesses the benevolent brilliance of thousands around the world who are continually developing, improving, and evolving its core.
Openness is one of the core values of SMCE. At SMCE we believe that open communication enables learning, which leads to knowledge and empowers people. We guide clients realize the potential of Open source technology and how best open source technology can be used in their environment. We use open source software extensively since it empowers us to get in-depth knowledge about how an application is constructed, and to fix it or enhance it when needed.
Green / Sustainable IT
Green computing or green IT, refers to environmentally sustainable computing or IT. In the article Harnessing Green IT: Principles and Practices, San Murugesan defines the field of green computing as "the study and practice of designing, manufacturing, using, and disposing of computers, servers, and associated subsystems—such as monitors, printers, storage devices, and networking and communications systems—efficiently and effectively with minimal or no impact on the environment."
Benefits to our clients:
Mostly organizations consider open source technology to save costs on licensing, the fact remains that, organizations don’t realize the real benefits they acquire moving to an open source platform and cost is just one of the benefit. Following are some of the other benefits of open source technology enablement:
- Low cost ownership, there are no license fees for an open source software, reducing annual license fees cost to zero
- Continuity, is possible that a proprietary software company shuts shop or decides to discontinue services for a software.
- Escape vendor lock-in, disappointment and dissatisfaction with a vendor's support and service is a reality for all IT managers.
- Take control of your software, Open source software gives you the power to control your software's code.Reduce the use of hazardous materials
- Maximize energy efficiency
- Promote the recyclability
SMCE offers the following services on the Open Source Technology Enablement domain:
- Open source technology feasibility study
- Open source strategy
- Open source transformation roadmap
- Open source technology enablement